“My Health Alerts” App Enables Healthcare Providers to More Easily Deliver Mobile Self-Service to Outpatients; Minimizes IT Resource Use and Costs
SEATTLE—February 27, 2013—Varolii Corporation, a market leader in Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) customer interaction management, today announced its first smartphone application designed to enable healthcare providers to deliver personal health information and self-service options at the patient’s fingertips. Built on the Varolii Interact Mobile Service, the My Health Alerts app is a provider-branded smartphone application that delivers proactive reminders for upcoming appointments and clinical quality measures, and complements electronic health record access for patients.
Varolii’s mobile app, combined with Varolii’s mobile Software Development Kit and the Interact platform, uniquely allows providers to engage patients through orchestrated voice, text, email, smartphone push notifications and hosted web app channels so that they get the information they need on the channel they most prefer. With cross-channel orchestration, providers can promote app adoption and be sure that a personalized message is reaching the right people on their preferred smartphone channel. My Health Alerts also leverages Varolii’s robust cloud-based analytics and reporting to quickly and intelligently adjust patient communication strategies based on real-time feedback.
“In a smartphone-majority world, consumers want more information when it suits them and via the channel they prefer – and a growing number prefer a mobile app to complement email, texting and voice interactions. With Varolii’s My Health Alerts app, healthcare providers can deliver exactly that – instant self-service and proactive reminders to consumers in the way they want it on their smartphone,” said Dave McCann, CEO at Varolii.
Consumer expectations are clearly shifting around healthcare. Recent primary research from Varolii shows that the rise of mobile has also led to a desire for more frequent interaction and on their preferred channel of communication. Consumers overwhelmingly prefer mobile channels with nearly 1 in 5 (17%) preferring a text message, 14 percent favoring automated voice and nearly 1 in 10 (9%) preferring a smartphone application. Fifty percent of respondents also believe that texts, emails and smartphone apps with tips, reminders and encouragement could have helped them avoid a health problem in the past.
“Our experience and primary research around healthcare customer interaction management have led us to the conclusion that if a large outpatient clinic operation has one million patients, smartphone applications will appeal to about 14 percent of that population,” added McCann. “However, the app has to be orchestrated with other patient engagement channels like voice, email and text messages. Standalone mobile apps – what we call first-generation apps – are not the answer because they don’t include push notifications or integration with these other channels. This is critical to driving successful adoption and use of a mobile app. Our third-generation mobile app integrates both of these pieces, making it a great choice for providers looking to build or improve a mobile app.”
With the My Health Alerts app, providers can take a more active role in a patient’s health that goes well beyond the doctor’s office. Key benefits include:
· Improved smartphone app adoption. Smartphone push notifications and Varolii hosted Interact web apps make it more relevant and convenient for patients to utilize the app.
· Minimized IT resource use. The app minimizes the use of IT resources as a cloud-based solution and takes advantage of progressively expanding capabilities within subsequent app versions that ensure the long-term success and vision of your mobile app strategy.
· Greater patient self-service. My Health Alerts delivers better patient self-service options to reschedule appointments, view personal health information and receive proactive alerts related to their health and wellness.
· Improved clinical quality measures. By taking a more proactive role with texts and push notifications, providers can improve key Meaningful Use and other measures, such as patient portal use, mammograms and colorectal cancer screenings.
· Increased patient satisfaction. By providing an enhanced experience and pushing relevant information to patients at the right time, appointment scheduling and key health reminders through the app, providers can improve patient satisfaction. In one recent case, the Varolii Interact Platform created a two percent lift in patient satisfaction scores by leveraging a cross-channel approach to patient engagement.
· Fewer missed appointments. With push notifications to remind, reschedule or cancel appointments, My Health Alerts can reduce missed appointment rates and boost unrealized revenue. For example, Varolii’s applications have been proven to reduce missed appointments by 25 percent with cross-channel interactions.
“This new era of pay-for-quality, local competition for market share and meaningful use has taken us well beyond annual check-ups and reactive patient relationships. Today, provider organizations need to be an active partner in a patient’s health and wellness. However, providers cannot scale to develop this kind of relationship on an individual basis,” said Vance Clipson, senior healthcare market manager at Varolii. “That’s where we come in. With Varolii, providers can leverage personalized, cross-channel interactions to engage with patients in a meaningful way across smartphone apps, voice, text and email.”
For more information on Varolii’s My Health Alerts app, please visit Varolii Mobile Health. Varolii will also be exhibiting at the HIMSS Annual Conference & Exhibition from March 3-7, 2013 in New Orleans. Please visit Booth #5807 for a live demo of the new My Health Alerts app.
About Varolii Corporation
Varolii is a leading provider of customer interaction management applications. Our cloud-based communication service help organizations more effectively interact with large numbers of customers and employees through voice, text messages, smartphone applications and email, reducing cost of operations and improving service. The company’s award-winning Interact platform enables companies to deliver personalized communication on a large scale, achieving better results from fewer interactions. More than 450 companies trust Varolii to manage more than four million interactions every business day. For more information, visit www.varolii.com.